Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Workforce Housing

Workforce Housing, or its less restrictive twin, Affordable Housing is a mantra in the Keys. The Key West Citizen weighs in editorially a couple of days ago.

I can identify at least four groups of people -- there may be more -- who are directly affected by these matters. I'll think about that some more and come back to it.

As the editorial points out, affordable housing both affects, and is affected by, a slew of other issues: hurricane evacuation is one, but so are traffic, quality of life (or tourism impact), waste disposal, water delivery, the Navy, and on and on. The impact of there not being enough affordable housing in the Keys is a Keys-wide issue. It isn't just Key West that feels the impact. Trailer parks are disappearing all the way up to Key Largo. Motels and hotels are being demolished to make way for luxury developments much like the one proposed for the Jabour lot.

In my recent posting, I quoted the testimonial of one of the owners of Watermark-developer Cortex Companies, Everett Atwell, a Director. He was speaking as a sponsor of the World Sailfish Championships:

As a real estate developer in the luxury private residence market, we are constantly in search of cost effective avenues that provide us direct access to the ultra affluent. Sponsoring the World Sailfish Championship proved to be an excellent marketing vehicle. After some preliminary contact, we invited a qualified group of prospects to the tournament and sold 32 units totaling $68,000,000."
Everett Atwell
Director, Cortex Companies


The libertarian in me says, "Leave it alone, they're pursuing the American Dream. The free marketplace will decide. The government should just leave me alone so I can write and party.

The republican says, "Don't worry, leave it alone. The people we elected to represent us will decide what's in our best interests, and look after things so I can pay attention to my writing."

The democrat says, "Don't worry. Leave it alone. The people we elected to represent us will decide what's in our best interests, and look after things so I can pay attention to my writing."

The christian me cries out, "Show concern for the well-being of your brothers and sisters. Feed the hungry. Clothe the poor. Support affordable housing."

Our city motto is One Human Family. I can buy into that. When a family draws together, when there is love in the family, problems are dealt with in ways that seek to satisfy the needs and desires of all. It can't be Win/Lose. Win/Win ought to be the goal.

The thing is, what's most important to me is that we remain engaged with the people we love, family and friends, that we continue to be able to live here, and that I have time to write. Everything else is gravy.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS