Sunday, February 12, 2006

My First Podcast

I finally met Michael Suib at the Coffee Plantation on Thursday. I've often wanted to hail him down when I see him driving the pink cab around town, and tell him how much I enjoy his stories, but I never did. He came in to talk about my recording a podcast with him and Tom Forsythe on Friday. We had communicated only once by e-mail, although I've been reading his column, first in Paradise this Week, and now in the Miami Herald, since -- well, since he began writing it, I guess. He's the author of the book, Confessions of a Key West Cabby, and of its weekly addendum in the Herald titled Dateline: Paradise. I'm not sure, but I think the column came first and the book followed. We chatted for a while, then agreed to meet on Friday at 2:00 o'clock to record the podcast.

The next day Tom Forsythe, whose idea it was to create the Keys Network web site and focus it on podcasting, arrived about 30 minutes before our scheduled time. He set up his microphones, headsets and mixer at the corner table by the front window, connected it all up to his Macintosh Powerbook and fired up GarageBand, the program he uses for recording. Michael arrived a short time afterwards, and we gathered around the table to record. The podcast may be up soon, or it may be later. The boys have been gathering material pretty regularly. They put the show together from the various interviews that they do themselves, and from other podcasts that their regular contributors prepare on their own.


After I finished, Theo sat down to record a separate interview by Michael, none of which I've heard yet. Then Mongo rounded out the day with what appeared to be a very animated interview.

Michael and Tom asked if I'd be interested in being a regular guest on the podcasts, discussing whatever interests any of of us and guided by Michael's easy interviewing technique. I readily agreed. I may be on the verge of my fifteen minutes of fame, if this podcast thing catches on. No matter, I had fun doing it. I hope y'all enjoy it, along with the other interesting stuff at the web site.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS