Saturday, February 04, 2006

A remarkable event

Janet is out shopping. It's her birthday today, a significant one, her 62nd. She is now admitted to the exclusive Social Security club, one that I joined nearly four years ago. We have plans for dinner and a show tonight to celebrate the occasion.

As I will do when Janet isn't here, I turned on C-SPAN to see what was being shown. At 10 o'clock, a re-broadcast of the National Prayer Breakfast came on. I was half-paying attention when I heard Bono, U2's lead singer and noted anti-poverty activist say some things that caught my ear, then my full attention.

In twenty minutes, Bono gave the most moving speech I've heard in a long, long time, maybe ever. He spoke to, among others, the President and Mrs. Bush, King Abdullah of Jordan, and a panoply of congresspersons. Here's a video feed of the speech.

Bono spoke of a campaign called ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History. He argued powerfully for more to be done about people dying in Africa at the rate of one tsunami a month from preventible diseases. He gave specifics.

I am moved by Bono's words. He speaks my truth.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS