Friday, March 03, 2006

Captain Outrageous

I'm multitasking these days, juggling several projects. It interferes with my blogging, but I'm intent on maintaining the 1-a-day average that is my goal.

One of my projects revolves around a guy you may have heard of. Captain Outrageous is his name. Really. He took the name legally several years ago when he ran for Mayor, though he has been known as Captain Outrageous for a long time. He arrived here 30 years ago, and likes to brag that he hasn't returned to America since. He left Key West a few times, but always to go south, to South America.

Captain is an artist whose work persists on thousands of bicycles, hundreds of scooters, dozens of cars, and a variety of other found objects like old telephones, furniture, dress dummies, cuckoo clocks, musical instruments -- just about any object that will take a coat of his carefully-applied paint. He owns and operates an art gallery on Caroline Street, a half block from Duval Street.

We've been putting together a web presence for the gallery over the past three weeks. Yesterday, it all clicked and came together when we got Apple's newest iLife application, iWebon Wednesday. It's a fine piece of software, as one expects from Apple.

I met the Captain on the occasion of his 60th birthday. He was celebrating at his house trailer on Greene St. It was at a time when the small trailer park, on land owned by the City, was being turned over to the Conch Republic Restaurant for use as a parking lot. The lot is still there, a dusty, stand-alone parcel next to the 'official' lot.

Park residents tried to preserve their affordable housing, but the City was relentless. Captain Outrageous eventually sold the trailer and moved on. I still have the T-Shirt memorializing the events of the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HAD MY FIRST 24 HOUR INTRO TO THE KEYS LAST WEEK W/ A FEW HOURS SPENT IN KEY WEST. I HAPPENED TO TAKE PICTURES OF A "CAPTAIN OUTRAGEOUS" SCOOTER AND THE ROCKING CHAIR AT BLUE HEAVEN WHERE I HAD A DELICIOUS BREAKFAST. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE CONNECTION WAS BETWEEN THE 2 ITEMS UNTIL I GOOGLED AND FOUND YOUR INFO. THANKS
ALSO, COULD YOU E-MAIL ME THE TITLES OF SOME OF THE SO FLA FICTION THAT ARE YOUR FAVORITES?
HAVE YOU READ A BIO OR ANY INFO ON FLAGLER? I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HIM.
KATHERINE.SMITH@UHHS.COM THANKS,KATHIE

 
Use OpenDNS