Friday, July 28, 2006

Newspapers

"With that approach, some media mavens project the [New York] Times could see as much as one-fourth of its revenue migrate to this pay-to-read Web model."

The Keynoter and our sister newspapers, Keys Sunday and The Reporter, are not going down that path. We don't sell ad space on our front page and we don't charge for access to our Web-based news and advertising content.


The Keynoter is one of the other newspapers I read regularly. Although it is published only twice a week, the Keynoter covers Keys news well, with a particular emphasis on the Keys outside of Key West. It is distributed free in Key West from street boxes, and with the Miami Herald to those who subscribe to that paper. The quote above comes from a column by the Keynoter's publisher, Wayne Markham in last Wednesday's edition.

Contrast the Keynoter's position with that of the Key West Citizen, which has begun to move some of its content behind what I have called the toll booth of pay-to-read. To their credit, the Citizen published this letter from a remote reader in today's paper (scroll down to the second letter).

I too miss reading the Citizen's Voice, but I've decided to NOT subscribe for local delivery just for that and the one story per day that is put on the toll road. I read the physical paper now and then, when there's a reason to do so, or if I happen to come across it the Coffee Plantation, or elsewhere.

The Citizen is making a business decision. They have every right to do so. I'm making a consumer decision, and that's my right. So I'll follow my path. Will the Citizen take its content further on to the turnpike, keep it as it is now, or ultimately reconsider its decision? I think that Markham makes sense.

Besides, the Keynoter has better crossword puzzles -- when they don't misprint them as they did last Saturday. Don't worry Wayne, and Larry. All is forgiven. Just don't do it again, it spoils my Saturday or Wednesday.

Now I'm off to read Key West the Newspaper, Solares Hill and Paradise This Week. For free. Hoo-ah!

1 comment:

Citizen said...

Having just closed a newspaper because the "free" business model didn't work out after 7 years of publishing, I am not against paying for content that I want to read. The advertising market in the Keys is brutal, and the surplus of publications makes it tougher.

I love free papers, but I make a point of visiting the businesses that advertise in them. It is the only way the papers will survive.

 
Use OpenDNS