Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Visiting the Reef

We're off shortly for a cruise on the Discovery glass-bottom boat, hoping for a close-up look at the coral reef and some of the marine life that lives there. I did this once before when my brother and his wife were visiting. It was disappointing in that the sun wasn't shining, there weren't many fish to be seen, and the reef looked pale in the dark water. Janet has never been.

Today the sun is shining and we're hoping for a better experience. The reef has tken a lot of abuse in recent years. I remember snorkeling it with our family in 1999. I was stunned then by the beauty of the reef structure, marveled at the number and diversity of sea creatures. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My then wife and I did that trip once in the late nineties. The weather was such that the visibility wasn't good. I would recommend a trip to Ft. Jefferson as a more sure bet. Also, the guy with the orange biplane, that's an experience that is well worth the money. That combines a love for KW and the awesome experience of flying in an open cockpit biplane. Hope the weather is good for your reef trip.

 
Use OpenDNS