Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Barrios of Old Key West

From My Memories of Old Key West by Nilo Lopez:

Barrios or Neighborhoods

At one time in Key West, the local Cuban community had four different names when talking about various parts of the city. They were the following:

El Barrio de Gato or Gato Village;

El Barrio del los PiƱos or "The Pines", -- which reminds me of a story told to me, that a gentleman who had a restaurant in that area was elected to the City Council and the only thing that he did during his term was to say: "I second the motion".
Cubans llike to put nicknames and from that day, he was known as "Second the Motion".

El Barrio de los Negros or Afro Americans neighborhood;

El Barrio de los Concos or "Conch Town."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi bob, luv ur blog, it keeps me in the know with key west and learning something. do you know anything about the waterfront market? i saw a post on the craiglist for the keys and emailed but got no response. it is in the rant and raves section. if you cant find it i will try and post the address to you. thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Bob said...

Dear Anon, I di know about the Waterfront Market. They're in the news because the City is proposing to raise their rent to "market" rates. What would you like to know. E-mail me directly (address in my profile) so I can respond.

Bob

 
Use OpenDNS