Sunday, January 28, 2007

One Less Way to Travel

When I went to Texas last September for our daughter's birthday (and U. Texas' football season opener), I made reservations with Transfloridian to take me to Ft. Lauderdale the night before my flight. They screwed up and booked me instead for the night of my flight. I wound up driving myself to FLL, parking for five days, then driving the five hours back to Key West. For this inconvenience, TransFloridian refunded my $103.50 round trip fare, and gave me a voucher for another free round trip to either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

This announcement appeared in Travel News, an online newspaper I signed up for access to (registration required):

TransFloridian ends bus service to Florida Keys (01/18/2007)

TransFloridian, a shuttle bus company based in Orlando, has discontinued all of its daily service from six Florida cities to Key West, effective immediately.

Bill Hennessey, TransFloridian's founder, said in a statement that the company was unable to run the routes profitably, despite combining its services on Dec. 1 with Between the Seas, its codeshare partner on the routes. Between the Seas subsequently ceased operations on Jan. 15.

TransFloridian said it would continue to operate its private, on-demand service from Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports and seaports to Key West, which averages about $300 per trip for four passengers.

The company said it is expanding its Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach-Orlando route and plans to add to its three daily departures next summer. It also has its eyes on opening the Tampa/St. Petersburg market.


Maybe, if we drive to Miami, we could use the voucher to go to Orlando for a few days. But why? We have our own theme park here. It's called Key West.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS