Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Quiet Sunday

These are the meanderings of a resident of The Real Key West on a quiet Sunday.

I fed the animals then went to Harpoon Harry's for breakfast.

Listening to Kodac Harrison and the Corner Boys on iPod (on shuffle).
http://www.kodacharrison.com/

While listening to Halfway Hotel by Harrison, I got to thinking about all the music I have and don’t listen to much. I think I bought this CD (Static on the Radio), and another, Hard To Stop A Train, from Marty Stonely when he was closing up his music store on Truman a few years back. My iPod, a gift from Captain Outrageous on my last birthday, has nearly 8500 titles in it, by 1413 artists, in 131 genres, on 1261 albums. Every time I listen, I rediscover something that I forget I had.

Captain was a connoisseur of music. We shared our music libraries freely, those without digital rights management. Our tastes in music were different. He was more discriminating. He liked what he liked, and pretty much hated what he didn’t like. I think that all music, done with a modicum of professionalism, has value.

A significant portion of the music in my library is obscure, things that I picked up on CD over many years, by journeyman musicians laboring in the hustings, many of them happy to be who they are, doing what they do and earning enough from it to get by on.

The lead article in the Citizenthis morning (behind the pay turnstile) is headlined Old haunts may vanish in seaport redo. By Mandy Bolen, the article reports on the changes being wrought by the City at the Key West Bight, a.k.a., the Key West Historic Waterfront. The pressure for tax revenue is relentless. Development came to the bight area with a vengeance in the past few years, as it has come to the rest of this town. Harbor House, the renamed, revamped Watermark project is about to get underway. The Steam Plant looks to be ready this year. Marinas are being bought and sold, along with restaurants and bars. The VFW closed up last week on Elizabeth Street and will reopen soon on North Roosevelt Boulevard at the former Twisted Noodle restaurant. The regulars of the VFW will now have to trek further; some may not and will probably retreat to their rooms with a 12 pack, or drift on to Schooner Wharf to compete with tourists for space to drink more expensive drinks.

Speaking of Schooner Wharf, there’s a reliable rumor that Michael McCloud settled his suit with Toby Keithover Keith’s song, I Love This Bar. McCloud claims that Keith ripped off his Tourist Town Bar, and bragged that Keith would be buying him a house when it was all over. I believe that I’ll drift to Schooners this afternoon to drink a beer and listen to McCloud and the gang for a bit.

Bubba (Lownotes), who lives here now, plays with McCloud weekends, along with Captain Carl Peachey, skipper of the Island Belleand guitar player extraordinaire. Bubba also does a night gig with Raven Cooper a couple of nights at the Ocean Key House pier, 0 Duval Street. Bubba and Raven got a nice write-upfrom Valerie Ridenour in Key West the Newspaper this week. I’ll try to stay awake late enough to catch them there tonight.

Janet is in New Hampshire visiting our daughter and grandchildren. I’ll join her there in August for a Kelly family reunion over a long weekend. She traveled north via AMTRAK and will come back the same way. I’m flying on Delta to Boston and will fly back.

Now I’ll do a little bit of work.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks, Bob, for keeping us up to date.

Doc Al said...

Bob - Kodac Harrison plays every month at my bar, the Trackside Tavern, in Decatur, Georgia. He lives around the corner and always assembles a different group of local musicians every time he plays. He's a local legend around here and his shows are always great. He first started playing at Trackside in the late 1980's along with a lot of other "unknowns" at the time like the Indigo Girls and Shawn Mullins. Sadly, the recent owners decided not to have live music and the stage was silent for years. After being a patron for many years, in September of 2005 I got the chance to buy my favorite neighborhood bar. Kodac was the first one to approach me and ask if I was interested in bringing music mack. I told him I was and he was the first one to perform live at Trackside in over seven years. He did his first show in October of 2005 and has played the third Friday of every month since. If you're ever planning to be in the Decatur, Georgia area, make sure it's the third Friday of a month and come to Trackside and look me up - you're drinks will be on me.
"Doc" Al

 
Use OpenDNS