Saturday, October 06, 2007

A Key West Prophet?

Sloan Bashinsky ran a vigorous campaign to be elected Mayor of Key West. He gathered 64 votes out of nearly 6,000 cast. Mine included.

He gallops today at his daily Today's Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, railing against Monroe County Mayor Mario DeGennaro and others, handing a gratuitous warning of extreme caution to Mayor Morgan McPherson.

Some say that Bashinsky is crazy, certifiably so. He writes openly of his "Dream Maker" and the guidance he receives from his dreams. He has made himself unwelcome in a variety of places by his outspoken and often voluble outpourings of opinion on just about anything.

I leave it to the reader to decide if what Bashinsky says today makes sense (I happen to think that it does, mostly). How he says it might be a clue as to why he himself did so poorly in the mayoral race.

He isn't a politician, he's something else.

See for yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've watched college football at Jack Flats with Sloan and talked to him a couple of times. The reason why I'd never vote for him is because he refuses to choose sides in any game! That was reason enough for me not to consider voting from him. At least McPherson makes no bones at all who he's rooting for. It's always good to know what side someone is on. Even if it's for the other team.

Anonymous said...

My family has been coming to Key West for 20 years. I love reading your blog since I care for what happens to the city. I could write pages of what has made KW feel like home to us, but I can tell you it is NOT t-shirt shops and slick hotels. Development and a lack of local character are what make us consider other destinations. Thanks for keeping us informed.

 
Use OpenDNS