Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dunkin Donuts- Gone!

The five Dunkin Donuts locations in Key West disappeared overnight. At least the one on Greene St. reopened this morning as Key West Donuts, absent all evidence that it ever was a Dunkin Donuts store. All signage, cups, the Baskin Robbins ice cream, it's all gone.

I'm told that the DD franchise was lost over employment practices, something that closed the shops down briefly last year. The shops do (or did) employ a large number of eastern Europeans, Russians, Ukranians, Czechs, Slovaks, Poles. I assumed that the workers (who were very good at their jobs in my opinion) were here on some kind of legal temporary visas although some of them seem to have been here for a longer time than a temporary visa would allow. The workers, it appeared to me, were working well more than 40 hours a week and may not have been paid appropriately for that.

3 comments:

David Lybrand said...

(too many typos in that last try)

I was wondering what had come of the hiring-practices issue that had made the news a while back. I guess it just took the corporate boys a while to finish going through the hoops needed to strip the local franchise. Life in the "fast lane"....

Funny thing about that shop on Greene -- the other night I was in there and bought some of their stuff that came out to "something" dollars and 76 cents. Since I had a bunch of change but no penny, I gave the girl a $5 and picked up a penny from the cup by the register (so that I'd get back a quarter). She quickly threw the penny back into the cup and pulled two dimes and four pennies from the drawer and dropped it into my palm....

Those pennies must be VERY important to those folks....

Cayo Dave said...

lol.
ugh - now I'm suddenly craving their chocolate chip muffins.

Anonymous said...

i worked there. cant say its a best place to work. 8$ per hour and I was by myself at night.

When I told my manager I was going to leave...she started to yell at me. And... I lost my 700$. I didnt get my paycheck.

 
Use OpenDNS