Monday, March 17, 2008

Pandora

UPDATE: I am, I see, late to the party on this one. There are 117 other Key West listeners to Pandora.


This posting has but a tenuous connection to Key West. I'll make it now.

I spend many hours a day with my MacBook in front of me, using the web for research, e-mail (and iChat) to communicate, and a variety of applications -- Quickbooks and Quicken, Entourage, TetxEdit, Office, to get me through my day.

I was in the habit of listening to NPR in iTunes throughout the day.


Lately, however, I discovered a web site called Pandora. Pandora is a place where you can create radio stations for your own personal use, playing the type of music that you prefer. The whole idea of Pandora is based on something called the Music Genome Project which
"... set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like."


I have these radio stations set up now: Ahmad Jamal Radio, Billie Holiday Radio, Roy Buchanan Radio, Symphonic/Classics Radio, and one that I set up this morning after hearing the artist at the Green Parrot yesterday afternoon, Webb Wilder Radio. I find myself listening to one or another of the stations each day more and listening less to the iTunes radio.

If you're "into" music, I urge you to try it out. It's completely free and the ads are unobtrusive. The web site itself is a good example of where the web is headed, and an example of how a simple idea can lead to a successful business model.

2 comments:

jercash said...

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I did not know about Pandora and have been listening with joy all day!

Jerry Cash

Cayo Dave said...

Pandora is great - its turned me on to a bunch of music.
When it first started out, my stations would run out of tunes in an hour. Now it takes a few hours to repeat.

 
Use OpenDNS