Monday, August 18, 2008

COR 1

We are at Condition of Readiness One here at The Real Key West Gallery. Everything that might blow around outside is safely stored. We have the gate between the Gallery building and our house open so that Rommel can take shelter inside the Gallery building's rear (former) kitchen, or on the covered porch where the washer & dryer are.

Rick and Susan went out early and found the Kino store open. They've been wanting to get there but were busy doing other things and put Kino off until today. They were planning on leaving Tuesday for Ft. Lauderdale in preparation for flying back to Austin on Wednesday. At this point we aren't sure of they'll be able to get a rental car tomorrow, or even Wednesday morning. Key West International Airport is closed right now, and yesterday the NWS update said something about there being no cars available, although the Dollar car desk at the airport confirmed on Sunday that there would be a car for them.

(From Seinfeld:
Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

(With thanks to seinfeldscripts.com.)


We'll figure something out.

I took Rommel out for his walk at around ten o'clock. It was not raining when I left but by the time we got to Mallory Square it was coming down heavy and sideways. I was wearing a rain jacket but my pants were soaked, so Rommel and I went up onto the porch of the Key West Art & Historical Museum on Front Street and waited for it to let up a bit.

Now we're all at home, they watching Olympics action and me doing this, blogging. Rick and Susan went out when I did, went to Walgreen's and the ATM nearby, then got caught in the same downpour I did. They ducked into the Lazy Gecko and Fat Tuesday's to keep dry. I'm sure that it's an adventure for them, being "trapped" in Key West during a "weather event" as the forecasters like to call it. "It'll make this visit memorable.", I told her at the Green Parrot yesterday afternoon. We went there to hear Raven and Friends tear the place down with her vocals and guitar virtuosity, backed by Bubba on bass and backing vocals, and Ken Fradley on the trumpet. This is a YouTube of Raven with Bubba and another local musician, Caffeine Carl Wagner. Carl wrote the song they're singing. The gig at the Parrot was a near perfect performance, as good as any of the bands from elsewhere that come here. The Parrot wasn't crowded and it looked to be almost all locals there. After the first set, we went to Salsa Loca for one of Miss Nancy's fine meals.

So, kinda, that's what locals do in The Real Key West in a weather event.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS