Monday, November 17, 2008

Back When

I stumbled across a blog this morning that has a thread of reminiscences of a visitor to Key West back when -- back when the sunset celebration wasn't an organized event, back before Captain Tony was Mayor. Here's an excerpt, written by the unknown author upon hearing of Tony's passing.

"I just found out Captain Tony died. My friend went to Key West this weekend and was part of the wake. Tony was in his nineties. Not bad for a guy who lived like that. I used to hang out in Key West a lot in the '70s and early '80s. I have many stories to tell about Captain Tony's bar. Too many for this post. I went to Key West just after college for the first time. College had been hippie times, all drugs and sex and ideology. I majored in ideology, but I saw the other. Key West was something different. There was an edge to it, dangerous and weird. The town was just undergoing its first batch of gentrification. Gays were giving the town an aesthetic renovation. Drug dealers were providing the money. There were great bars and restaurants and everything was still cowboy cheap. So much to tell, too much. I was in Captain Tony's one hot summer's night. Some great band was playing and people were dancing and drinking and sweating and there under those dim lights in the smoke and gloom, women began to undress, and then the whole place was like an opium dream, me plump with desire and possibility. Thump, thump, thump, boom, boom, boom. Some driving song you felt down low, a growling, hungry thing. "I will move here," I thought in my wildness, "I will live here and be happy."


Pick the thread up here and follow it back a while.

I'd like to talk to the guy, have him tell me more stories.

1 comment:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Very interesting read. Very interesting. Thank for sharing!

 
Use OpenDNS