Friday, November 07, 2008

Captain Tony

Janet bought me Captain Tony's Life Lessons of a Legend on the day after he died, the day that the headline in the Key West Citizen announced his passing.

There'll be a parade tomorrow morning from St. Mary's Church to the site of the bar that he once ran and that still carries his name. It's an impromptu festival event, like the funeral procession for another celebrated captain, Captain Outrageous in February of 2007.

I'll be missing all that because of a prior commitment to the BCCLT board, but I'd like to share a couple of things I found while leafing through the book in preparation to giving it a proper read.

"...if I'd only sailed calm waters, I'd never have known where my boat was capable of going."

and
"How'd I do all this shit" He asked, struggling to believe it himself. "I didn't plan this, plan to do all this. I was just a New Jersey hustler that got displaced in a land opposite of Jersey. Shrimping, boat captain, the bar, being mayor. I was just a gambler who loved women and had some skills in organizing people. I didn't plan this life, but I've lived it well. I've done some bad things in my life, done some good things. I hope the good have outweighed the bad."


Brad Manard, the Captain's co-author, spins a good tale. Of such things are legends kept alive, though the hero be dead.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS