Monday, January 19, 2009

Embargo? What embargo?

This may be only a rumor -- or not. A friend of mine, a videographer, called tonight to say that he'd have to postpone a meet-up we had planned because he's been invited to sail to Cuba on Wednesday by a boat captain who has it on "good authority" that the restrictions on travel there by Americans will be lifted on that day, and that docking facilities in Havana are being arranged for an expected influx of Americans hoping to be among the first to visit there legally in many years. My friend says he's invited to film the event and he's making ready to go.

I've been combing the news for anything like a confirmation, or even a rumor, that it might happen. I found this article in Ahora, a Cuban newspaper published in the town of Holquin at the eastern end of the island, not very far from the Guantanamo naval base and prison. Ahora publishes an English-language version and that's where I found the article.

While many people are intrigued by the idea of being able to visit the mysterious isle, the article in Ahora highlights the fact that some Cuban residents aren't so sure that it's a great idea. I must say that I think that a sudden flood of Americanos descending on Cuba might in fact be as much a problem as an opportunity -- for the Cubans.

The good news here is that we won't have to wait long to find out if the rumor is true or not. If it is, stand by for news and videos at this site in a couple of days. I've been promised non-exclusive publication rights for the videos my friend expects to make.

Here is another recent news item, from UPI today.

3 comments:

Concerned Neighbor said...

Hmm..it just occurred to me that Obama was a teenager during the Mariel boatlift. Whatever happens (and yes, it's long overdue) let's hope somebody remembers what COULD happen, if they don't do it poco--poco.

Cayo Dave said...

Nice work Bob. And this morning I thought I was making news by predicting the travel ban would end in 2009...lol.

Terry Rubbert said...

I feel like a total idiot. That was me that gave Bob the bogus information. I was told by a notable local that Hillary was going to try and make the big power play as soon a Obama got in. WRONG. I am not going to divulge my source other than that they have considerable connections here and in Cuba. I think they were wishful thinking out loud in front of the town crier (me).

Anyway, I would like to learn more about the reverse Muriel Boat Lift Contingency Plan in place by the City of Key West. I would love to go to Cuba and think that they should lift restrictions ASAP. The sooner they do it the less I look like a total idiot. Sorry Bob

Terry R (Big Gullible Dope)

 
Use OpenDNS