Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Please stand by ...

Pardon the interruption.  I went away for a while, but now I'm back.

My stint with the Community Land Trust is nearly over.  We transferred ownership of all of the former BCCLT properties to the Key West Housing Authority last month.  They operate them now as a separate community and are carrying out needed maintenance and rehab.  The first rehab is taking place at 629 Caroline St., vacant for the past two years.  A fresh coat of paint, a new roof, hurricane-rated windows, and extensive repairs outside and inside will bring it back into operation sometime later this year.

We'll be here at Marlin Pier in Garrison Bight a year at the end of this month.  It's a great community; the best place we've ever lived.  We've made some minor improvements and done some deferred maintenance.  It's very comfortable living here.  A place for happy-ever-aftering, our Camelot.

We transferred much of our social networking over to Facebook about the time I stopped posting here last August.  I flirted for a while with Google+ but it just doesn't measure up to Facebook for ease of use and for popularity.

Blogger now seems more a place where we used to live.  It's been just over ten years since I created this blog.  This was the second post I wrote back then:

SUNDAY, APRIL 28, 2002Welcome to The Real Key West. Even though I have left the island, it remains in my heart. I vow to return there one day, perhaps to remain.
In the three years that we lived there, I recognized that the little island that is Key West is in fact two different places. The tourist's Key West is not real. It revolves around tourist bars, tour trains, "attractions" like the Hemingway House, the the Shipwreck Historeum, Mallory Square, t-shirt and jewelry shops, and the like. It is the Key West that you see when you arrive on a cruise ship or a tour bus, or when you drive down for a day or a weekend after doing Disney World and similar mainland attractions. There's nothing inherently wrong with that Key West. It's just not reality.
I'm going to use this blog to tell you about the other Key West, the real one with real people and places that most tourist never get to know. I hope that you'll enjoy the tour. 
 
We're back now since 2004.  This is the place.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS