Monday, June 18, 2012

What is so rare as a day in .. February

Written February 9, 2011.  Another previously unposted draft.

I like it when Saturday comes.  Weekends are break in the routine, a chance to do something other than what one must, and to do what one wants.  


On days like the one we have today -- 71º, sunny, dry -- I generally think of the first line of a poem by James Russell Lowell:

And what is so rare as a day in June?

To which I am inclined to answer, a day in February, in Key West. 

In truth, these February days in Key West remind me much of the days of early June in our native New England.

We ventured off-island last night to help with our fellow members to celebrate the 75th birthday of the Key West Tropical Forest & Botanical Garden.  It was a nearly perfect night, cool but not cold, a band playing on the Garden stage and outside near the parking lot, a steel drums performer laying down island music.  We enjoyed libations, hors d'oeuvres, and as it fell dark at 7:00 PM, champagne for toasting and cake from Croissants de France to  enjoy.

We came home early, before 8:00 PM.  Janet went out with friends to dance at the Green Parrot.  I stayed at home and watched The Motorcycle Diaries on Netflix.

This morning I'm at my desk, getting caught up on e-mail, FaceBook, blogging, and a variety of other things that call for my attention.
Here, in no particular order are some of the things I love about my little island home:



  


No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS