Saturday, November 12, 2016

In case anybody is still checking in here, or if you landed here from some other place and wondered why there are no recent posts -- let me tell a little story.

Janet and I lived in Key West for 2+ years, from January 1999 until the Fall of 2002, and then again for 10+ years, from June 2004 until April 2015.  We moved to Fort Myers in April 2015.

Through 12 of those years, I've maintained this blog, The Real Key West, pretty much in its present form.

This is the pre-blog, from 2002:

The Real Key West

I wrote these posts after learning how to make a blog using Google's web app, called Blogger.com.  I still use it because, like an Apple product, it just works.  It got improved a lot after I began using it (no, I'm not claiming cause and effect), and many other 'blogging systems' came along; WordPress, notably, became one of the more popular and is still in wide use.

But, to get more to the point, I managed to figure out that we've been 'on the rock' for 12-½ years out of the last 15, and 'on the cloud' with the blog for virtually all of that.  I also now know that 125,000 visits to The Real Key West occurred during the last ten years.

The domain name, which I have owned since 2002, has some value.  And domain names can be bought and sold on the 'world wide web'.  It's embedded in our online persona. But I'm sentimental about the name and I think I'm going to hang on to it for a while longer.

I thought what I might do is to use this largely dormant space to get some steam up to resume  blogging.  As I figure out how best to do that, you may expect to find things here that bear little or no relationship to Key West.  Meanwhile, I'l be looking at the Trackers to see who comes back or who just drops in for a visit.  Fear not:  I can't tell who's posting unless you choose to identify yourself.  You can, if you wish, register an ID with us.  It helps us to remember that we have a correspondent relationship if you do.

So, without further ado, here it goes.

Bob (with an "o").



3 comments:

Aodhnait said...

Good luck taking blogging up again!

Robert Kelly said...

Thanks Aodnait. We traveled in Ireland for five months in 1997, basing in Carrick-on-Suir in Co. Tipperary and traversed from Co. Here's one in which I was testing whether back-dating is allowed by Blogger.

Robert Kelly said...

...meant to say further...
..from Co. Donegal to Co.Cork ..

 
Use OpenDNS